Things we can do to support Ukraine
Our hearts are with the people of Ukraine under attack. As we bear witness to the horrors of this unjust war, let us do what we can to support those in need. Here are ways you can help:
Call and/or write to the White House and our elected officials to ask for immediate economic and humanitarian support to Ukraine. In addition, urge members of Congress to pass the GRACE (Guaranteed Refugee Admission Ceiling Enhancement) Act. The conflict in Ukraine is adding to the already overwhelming global refugee crisis. Currently, there are more than 26 million refugees escaping persecution and conflict areas, including Ukraine and Afghanistan. It is imperative that we pass the GRACE Act, which will create a minimum refugee ceiling of 125,000 refugees for our country. If passed, regardless of who our president is at the time, this law would cement in place the tradition of welcoming the stranger that is so important to who we are both as Americans and as Jews.
- Contact Your U.S. Senators
- Contact Your U.S. Representatives
- Contact the White House online
- Call the White House: 202-456-1111
Donate towards helping those in need through trusted organizations. Even a small donation can go a long way. Here are some organizations we trust working in the region right now.
- WUPJ (the World Union for Progressive Judaism) has created its Ukraine Crisis Fund to support the Ukrainian Jewish community. Donate to the WUPJ here.
- The Jewish Federations of North America’s Ukraine Emergency Fund is urgently looking for support. You can donate online, or send a check to the Sacramento Federation, with Ukraine in the memo line, and they’ll send 100% of all dollars raised to JFNA.
- HIAS (the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society) has worked in Ukraine for decades. Learn how they are helping Ukrainians as they cross into Poland and donate to their Ukraine crisis response here.
Support a local NGO focused on Ukraine. If you want to help (donate, volunteer, host) Nova Ukraine is an NGO that is run by volunteers that focuses on humanitarian aid to Ukraine. Nova Ukraine is looking for lawyers who can help get refugees amnesty, marketers / PR people who can help keep the attention on Ukraine, and people who are willing to host families when they inevitably arrive. Contact Shira Abel (a volunteer with Nova Ukraine) at email@example.com to offer your help.